BA Management, Leadership and Leisure / Course details
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
|Unit level||Level 5|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Offered by||School of Environment, Education and Development|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
The course unit will introduce and discuss the following content areas:
• International management and leadership in a global business environment, including a leisure context.
• Behaving responsibly in business around the world.
• Managing change in an international environment.
• The use of UK, European and Asian case studies to support learning.
This unit aims to:
• Develop understanding of international business and management, including a global leisure context.
• Develop understanding of planning for international business including a global leisure context
• Develop critical appreciation and understanding of managing information and resources within an international organisation to deliver competitive advantage.
This unit develops topics addressed in EDUC 11251 Introduction to Management and EDUC 20231 HRM II. It will act as a precursor to EDUC 30211 Strategic Management.
• Understand the need for a holistic approach to International management and leadership in a global business environment
• Recognise key aspects of management theory in an international context.
• Develop an understanding of planning for international business and the need for responsible business behaviour around the world.
• Understand theories of change, and implementing and managing change in an international context.
• Demonstrate communication, analytical and critical skills in relation to case studies of international organisations.
• Begin to assess and evaluate management and leadership theories and concepts, and their relationship to international organisations, including a global leisure context.
Teaching and learning methods
• Student-led group work
• E-learning through Blackboard-linked resources
• Individual study and reflection
• Written submission
Weighting within unit
Online via Blackboard
Kelly, P. (2009) International Business Management. Andover: Cengage Learning.
Griffin, R.W., and Pustay, M. (2014) International Business Global Edition. Pearson
Cole, G.A. & Kelly, P. (2015) Management Theory and Practice. 8th ed. Andover: Cengage Learning.
Taylor, S. (2011) Contemporary Issues in Human Resource Management. London: CIPD.
Journal : International Business Review
Luthans, F. & Doh, Jonathan, P. (2012) International Management, Culture, Strategy and Behaviour 8th ed. McGraw-Hill Irwin
Mead, R, & Andrews, T. G. (2009) International Management 4th ed. Wiley-Blackwell
Peng, M, & Meyer, K. (2016) International Business. 2nd ed. Cengage
Porter, M. E. (1979) ‘How competitive forces shape strategy’, Harvard Business Review (March/April 1979) 57(2) 137-145
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Martyn Edwards||Unit coordinator|