- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BA Film Studies and Russian / Course details
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Russian Language 5
|Unit level||Level 3|
|Teaching period(s)||Full year|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
This course aims to develop competence and accuracy in written and spoken Russian; to further reading, writing and translation skills; to consolidate knowledge of Russian grammar and to consider more advanced grammatical issues; and to increase awareness of current Russian usage in a variety of stylistic registers.
Pre-requisite : Completion of year abroad or permission of course leader.
Not available as a free choice unit. If the level is appropriate, however, the convenor may admit an external student.
• To further develop students’ linguistic skills after their period of residence abroad in Russia.
• To focus on both Russian language and the contemporary Russian cultural and social context.
• To widen participation within the body of students studying Russian.
• To contribute to society through the development of knowledge about different cultural customs and traditions and multiculturalism.
Knowledge and understanding
On successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
• Handle grammatical structures appropriate to the level of study;
• Apply advanced comprehension and translation skills to a variety of texts/grammatical points
• Communicate in written form and orally on a variety of topics
During this course students will deal with:
• Problem solving.
• Synthesis and analysis of data and information.
• Critical reflection and evaluation.
During this course students will be able to:
• Use library, electronic and online resources.
• Improve communication and negotiation skills.
• Speak, read and write in Russian.
Transferable skills and personal qualities
By the end of this course students will be able to improve their:
• Computer Literacy.
• Time Management.
- Analytical skills
- Capacity to analyse and make critical judgements.
- Ability to maintain independence of thought.
- Oral communication
- Ability to speak a modern foreign language. Ability to express ideas clearly and confidently in public.
- Written communication
- Ability to express oneself clearly in writing.
- Ability to maintain independence of thought. Ability to use discipline-specific knowledge (language, culture, traditions and customs) in everyday situations and to become a valuable member of multicultural team /society
One progress test - translation into Russian 25%
One progress test - composition in Russian 25%
Two oral examinations (one in each semester) 50% (25% each)
Students will be expected to submit a piece of Formative
work as requested by their tutorevery week
|Feedback method||Formative or Summative|
In-class tests will be marked within a week. All individual comments and feedback will be written on a special feedback form; if required, guidance on how to improve performance in further assessments will also be provided on this form. Generic feedback to the whole class will be also given during the lesson following the in-class test.
Oral classes: students will receive oral feedback during oral sessions as well as written comments on their prepared written topics.
After the final oral exam at the end of the year, special feedback forms will be available for all students upon request.
- Terence Wade, A Comprehensive Russian Grammar (Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, 2000)
- Derek Offord, Modern Russian: An Advanced Grammar Course (London: Bristol Classical Press, 1997)
- E. Vasilenko, A. Yegorova, E. Lamm, Russian Verb Aspects (Moscow: Russkii Iazyk Publishers, 1988)
- I. S. Ivanova, L. M. Karamysheva, T. F. Kupriianov, M. G. Miroshnikova, Sintaksis (Moscow: Russkii Iazyk Publishers, 1998)
- The Oxford Russian-English, English-Russian Dictionary (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998)
- E. M. Mednikova & Iu. D. Apresian (eds.), New English-Russian Dictionary (Moscow: Russkii Iazyk Publishers, 1993)
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Elizaveta Langley||Unit coordinator|