Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Menu Share this content
Menu Search the University of Manchester siteSearch
Search type

Alternatively, use our A–Z index

Shanghai skyline at night

Courses with a study abroad option

If you want a period abroad built into your undergraduate degree, choose a course that includes an additional compulsory full academic year abroad – eg courses with a language component, or 'with international study'.

Most of our other undergraduate courses allow you to participate in our Study Abroad Programme and spend time – usually a semester – at one of our partner institutions outside the UK.

Study abroad periods are available either in Year 2 of a three-year course, or in the Year 3 of a four-year course. You would apply in Year 1 for a semester abroad in Year 2, or in Year 2 for a year abroad in Year 3.

Explore our list of courses that offer the opportunity to study abroad:

In a small number of cases, degrees are structured or accredited by an external body in such a way that makes it almost impossible for students to go abroad (eg Electrical Engineering, Pharmacy).

If your chosen course does not offer the opportunity to study abroad, there are a variety of summer schools or short-term international opportunities that you can participate in. We are developing new summer opportunities every year to make sure there is something to suit everyone; from developing your Spanish skills in Seville, to studying International Relations in Seoul.