Additional non-repayable support

Different groups of students will be able to access different levels of financial support, based on their needs.

Students from the following groups may be entitled to additional support either from the university they are studying at or the government:

If you're a care leaver starting university for the first time, you should be entitled to a one-off £2,000 Higher Education Bursary from your local authority. Most care leavers will be assessed by Student Finance as independent and eligible for the maximum maintenance loan, as well as the tuition fee loan. You should also be eligible for both bursaries and scholarships from The University of Manchester.

For more information on care leaver support at The University of Manchester, email: