EU students

Following the UK’s formal departure from the EU, the UK and the EU entered into a Transition Period which ended on 31 December 2020.

The UK government announced on 23 June 2020 that EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for home fees or Student Finance England support for courses starting in the academic year 2021/22 and beyond.   

New UK government point-based system

The UK government also launched a new points-based system on 1 January, which includes EU, EEA and Swiss nationals (except British passport holders and Republic of Ireland passport holders).

All EU students who don’t already hold an exemption (being a British or Republic of Ireland passport holder or having pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme) will need to apply for a visa under the new Student Route. 

This visa will allow students to study, work on a part-time basis (subject to restrictions) and remain in the UK after graduation for up to two years (undergraduate and taught masters students) or three years (PhD students).

The UK government has published a guide for EU students on this new points-based immigration system to help you get started.

Date of last update: 10 June 2021. The information above was correct to the best of our knowledge at the time of writing, but may be subject to change.