The University of Manchester is a chartered corporation and operates under the terms of a Royal Charter granted in 2004. Our Royal Charter number is RC000797.
The University is also an exempt charity. As such, we are responsible to HEFCE, our principal regulator, which monitors our compliance with charity law obligations.
The constitution and supporting structures of the University, as detailed on these pages, have been developed in a way that ensure they hold true to the ethos, principles and requirements of good governance in higher education.
These structures also enable the University to fulfill its objectives as a new institution of the 21st century. They are adaptable to changing circumstances, which help the University keep abreast of the latest technologies in a progressive environment.
You will need a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat (downloadable from Adobe) to view PDF file(s). PDF files open in a new window.
Founding documents, dates and regulations
- Charter (as granted by the Queen) (21KB)
- Almanac 2013/14 (key dates including major committee meetings) (52KB)
- Statutes (University laws) (92KB)
- Ordinances (prescribed University practices and procedures) (144KB)
- General regulations (rules that students and staff must abide by) (383KB)
Officers and committee memberships
- Officers of the University (9KB)
- Board of Governors membership (14KB)
- Role of the Board of Governors (11KB)
- General Assembly membership (60KB)
- Senate membership (272KB)
- Memberships of School boards (8KB)
Board of Governors minutes
You can download the minutes of our Board of Governors meetings from the following years: