The University of Manchester is committed to supporting postgraduate research students. Each year we invest substantially in doctoral funding.
In additional to these internal funds the University is highly successful in attracting sponsorship for research students, in particularly from the research councils, industry, trusts and charities.
- A good first step in exploring funding options is to speak to staff within your subject area to find out how previous students have financed their studies.
- You can also search our funding opportunities database to ascertain which awards are available.
- Faculty and School websites often provide further information, particularly about project-specific studentships. These studentships can be advertised at any time throughout the year.
- Some PhD funding schemes involve applying directly for advertised projects, while others require you to develop a research proposal alongside a supervisory team. Make sure you read the criteria carefully in advance.
- Before applying for a studentship, read through the eligibility criteria thoroughly, and ensure you note the closing deadline.
Doctoral loans for 2018/19
The UK government has confirmed that new doctoral loans will be available for those studying PhDs (and equivalent doctoral programmes) from 2018/19.
The loan will be for a maximum of £25,000 over the duration of the course.
UK nationals who are ordinarily resident in England, aged 59 or under, who are not already receiving funding via a UK Research Council, will be eligible. The government is currently considering making EU students eligible.
The loans will be available for all types of doctoral study (eg PhD, as well as all professional doctorates such as DBA, EdD), at all UK universities.
Additional information will be published to this page once further information has been confirmed by the UK government. A summary of the main features of the loan is available on FindaPhD.com.
Explore the funding opportunities available for postgraduate research students.
Centres for Doctoral Training
See what funding opportunities are available in these centres of cutting-edge research.