The University of Manchester is committed to supporting postgraduate research students. Each year we invest substantially in doctoral funding.
In additional to these internal funds the University is highly successful in attracting sponsorship for research students, in particularly from the research councils, industry, trusts and charities.
- A good first step in exploring funding options is to speak to staff within your subject area to find out how previous students have financed their studies.
- You can also search our funding opportunities database to ascertain which awards are available.
- Faculty and School websites often provide further information, particularly about project-specific studentships. These studentships can be advertised at any time throughout the year.
- Some PhD funding schemes involve applying directly for advertised projects, while others require you to develop a research proposal alongside a supervisory team. Make sure you read the criteria carefully in advance.
- Before applying for a studentship, read through the eligibility criteria thoroughly, and ensure you note the closing deadline.
Explore the funding opportunities available for postgraduate research students.
Centres for Doctoral Training
See what funding opportunities are available in these centres of cutting-edge research.