The University collections
The University has a vast array of collections relating our own history and far beyond.
The University of Manchester has thousands of objects which have been collected or acquired through its existence and are now cared for by University History and Heritage. The Collections are diverse and include:
- A significant amount of art, including a large amount of portraiture of key figures.
- Extensive collections of scientific instruments and apparatus, including the Museum of Medicine and Health.
- Ceremonial and decorative objects related to the University, including silverware and gowns.
- Art and decorative objects in the public realm.
- Objects relating to staff and student life, such as historic University blazers, sports kit and medals.
We work hard to conserve, interpret and make the Collections available for staff, students, alumni and the public and you can help us support this work.
We welcome opportunities for the Collections to be used for exhibitions, research and teaching. Staff and students in the Institute for Cultural Practices use the Collections extensively for research and teaching.