Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer

Working while you study

There is a wide range of part-time employment opportunities in the city of Manchester and across the University campus.

The University Careers Service has comprehensive guidance on how to find part-time work and you can browse jobs or register for vacancies to be emailed to you:

 You can also find part-time job vacancies:

  • In the local press (such as the Manchester Evening News and the Metro)
  • At Job Centres
  • By registering with a recruitment agency. See the University careers service website.
  • On notice boards across the University in Schools, bars, cafes and the Students' Union. Also across the city on notice boards and posters in shops, supermarkets and restaurants.

Part-time employment for postgraduate research students

Schools may also offer the following types of part-time employment specifically for postgraduate research students:
Graduate Teaching Assistantships – under these schemes, postgraduates normally receive a maintenance grant and a waiver of the tuition fee in return for undertaking teaching duties.

Research Assistantships – these are salaried posts on short-term contracts and normally offer the opportunity to register for a higher degree.

Tutoring and demonstrating – many Schools offer tutoring and demonstrating opportunities usually paid on an hourly basis. You are permitted to undertake 180 hours of such duties in any one academic year.

You can find out about these opportunities by contacting the relevant School. Graduate Teaching Assistantships and Research Assistantships are advertised in our funding opportunities database and often on School websites:

Research assistantships are also advertised throughout the year in the educational press and relevant specialist journals. See our contacts and resources page for a number of useful websites:

The Research Councils and other funding bodies may place restrictions on how many hours you are permitted to work and you should check with your sponsor before taking up part-time employment.

All postgraduate research students should first speak to their supervisor before considering part-time employment. Your degree should be your first priority and part-time work should never interfere with your studies.

International students

If you are an International student, you must show that you have enough money to cover the cost of your programme tuition fees and living expenses without needing to work before embarking on your studies. The International Student Advice Team in the Student Services Centre can advise you on matters relating to working while studying: