Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Menu Search the University of Manchester siteSearch
Search type

Alternatively, use our A–Z index

Entry requirements

The University of Manchester has high academic standards and our entry requirements for the Study Abroad Programme reflect this.

In order to apply to study abroad here you must satisfy the following criteria. You should also check with your home university as to whether they also have any requirements that you have to meet in order to be eligible to study abroad.

Current undergraduate

You must be a current undergraduate of a university or college of higher education and be in good standing at that institution.

Academic standing

We require at least a B average or a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average for academic systems operating on a 4.0 scale. This average should be maintained during the period of study immediately preceding the semester or year to be spent at The University of Manchester.

You must be able to evidence at least two complete semesters of study on your academic transcript at the time of your application.

English language entry requirements

Please read all sections below carefully.

University of Manchester English language admissions requirements

For applicants whose first language is not English, you must usually provide evidence of your English language proficiency as part of your application to study with us. This should be in the form of a Secure English Language Test (SELT), such as IELTS, TOEFL, Pearson Test of English or Cambridge Certificate, or an approved English language qualification (for example, Hong Kong O-level, Norwegian Vitnemal. This is required from all non-Erasmus applicants whose first language is not English, even if you are already studying in English at your current institution.

Your SELT must have been taken within two years prior to the start of your course at The University of Manchester, and must show that you meet or exceed our minimum requirements, which are a minimum of IELTS 6.0 overall (or equivalent), with no less than 5.5 in any individual component (please note that this is a minimum requirement and students with scores at this minimum level must take a ten-credit ‘English Language in Use’ course unit as part of their semester course-load). However, certain subject areas require higher scores, as follows:

  • Accounting and Finance, Business, Life Sciences, Management, Psychology – IELTS 6.5                                                    
  • Education, English Literature, Law, History – IELTS 7.0

UK Visas and Immigration English language requirements

Non-native English speakers applying for a Tier 4 visa (required for all students entering the UK for six calendar months or more) must also meet UK Visas and Immigration's requirements. These are:

  • IELTS with minimum score of 5.5 overall, with no less than 5.5 in any individual component.

If you have taken any other SELT, please contact us for information on the minimum scores required.

Please note that if you need a Tier 4 visa for study, and do not meet UK Visas and Immigration's minimum requirements for this visa, you will not be able to study with us (regardless of whether you meet the University's own admissions requirements), unless:

  • you take another SELT which shows that your scores have improved to UK Visas and Immigration's required level, or
  • you apply for and successfully complete a Pre-Sessional English Language course, which brings you up to UK Visas and Immigration’s required minimum. The University of Manchester's Pre-Sessional English courses can be found on the University Language Centre website. Please note these courses incur a cost in all cases.

We will be unable to issue a CAS for you, which is needed to apply for a Tier 4 visa, unless your test was taken within two years of the start of your course at Manchester and you have met the minimum test scores required. Students who do not meet the English language requirements of a Tier 4 visa must apply for a student visitor visa and will only be able to study in the UK for a maximum of six months.

Please note that regardless of your first language, if you are not a national (ie passport holder) of a 'majority English-speaking country', you will always be required to supply evidence of your English language ability.

We advise you to check the UK Visas and Immigration website before proceeding with your application, as their information/requirements may change at short notice.

Information for English Language Pathway (pre-sessional English) students

If you are applying for a pre-sessional English course, you must have a minimum IELTS score of 4.0 (or equivalent) in every component. This applies to all students.  

If you would like to attend your pre-sessional course and your main course on a Tier 4 student visa and receive a single CAS for both courses, you must already have obtained a SELT with a minimum score of IELTS 5.5 (or equivalent) in every component.

If you have IELTS 4.0 (or equivalent) in every component but have not achieved IELTS 5.5 (or equivalent) in every component, you will initially only be issued with a CAS for your pre-sessional course. At the end of your pre-sessional course, if you are assessed as meeting IELTS 5.5 (or equivalent) in every component, you will receive a further CAS for the main course. There is support available on campus to assist you in making an application for a Tier 4 visa extension, but please note that you must pay an additional fee for your second visa.