Extended Project Qualification
The Extended Project is a single piece of work of a student's choosing that requires evidence of planning, preparation, research and independent learning. It is available as a stand-alone qualification for A-level students and forms part of the Diploma.
An Extended Project might be:
- A design
- A report with findings from an investigation or study
- A dissertation presenting an argument
- An artefact
- A performance
The Extended Project offers opportunities for learners to:
- Have significant input into the choice and design of an extended piece of work;
- Develop and apply decision-making skills, problem-solving skills, initiative and enterprise;
- Extend their planning, research, critical-thinking, analytical, synthesis, evaluation and presentation skills;
- Use their learning experiences to support their personal aspirations for higher education and career development.
The skills that students develop through the Extended Project are excellent preparation for university-level study. Students can refer to the Extended Project in their UCAS personal statements and at interview to demonstrate some of the qualities that universities are looking for.