Science and Maths Teachers Conference
26 and 27 June 2013
This summer the University of Manchester will host an exciting new series of conferences for teachers of maths and science subjects. Through these conferences we aim to pass the spark of inspiration from our researchers to you and then into your classrooms. We want to inspire you and your pupils about cutting edge research in biology, chemistry, maths and physics.
The conference spans two days, and you can attend one or both of these days depending on your interests and responsibilities:
26 June 2013: Biology and Chemistry Focus
27 June 2013: Maths and Physics Focus
For more information about both events, including programme updates and online booking, please visit:
High Stakes Guidance - equipping teachers and advisers with information and advice to prepare future students in a new higher education context
22 May 2013
Equipping teachers and advisers with information and advice to prepare future students in a new higher education context
This one-day conference aimed to equip teachers and advisers with a range of resources, information and advice relevant to progression to higher education. It addressed the key topics of access to selective universities; admissions; student finance and funding; changes to the UCAS system; and best practice in the provision of information, advice and guidance (IAG) in schools and colleges.
Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell, President and Vice-Chancellor at The University of Manchester, delivered welcome address at the conference.
Presentations and workshops slides are available for download below:
- Keynote speech: The Shifting HE Landscape – Challenges and Opportunities (PDF document, 2.14MB)
- Signposts to Success – what are the best resources to help students navigate their way into higher education? (PDF document, 666KB)
- Money, Money, Money – some of the common myths surrounding student finance and information on finance and funding from 2013 onwards (PDF document, 1.83MB)
- A University’s Top Ten Tips for Teachers on Supporting Your Student through the UCAS Application Process (PDF document, 6.12MB)
- From pupil to student: making a success of independent study (PDF document, 2.58MB)
- Widening the Undergraduate Curriculum at Manchester: Introducing the University College for Interdisciplinary Learning (PDF document, 934KB)
This is an annual conference and further information about the National Teachers and Advisers conference for 2014 will be available next year.