English language courses
The University Language Centre (ULC) offers English language courses covering the full range of language preparation.
If English is not your first language, these courses are designed to provide you with the level of English needed to meet the conditions of your offer.
If you have already applied to the University and been offered a place, you should consult the English language requirements of your course of study.
Your offer may specifically mention a pre-sessional course, but if not, you should find out whether completion of a course will be enough for you to start your course of study.
You may also need to retake your International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as part of a pre-sessional course.
Before your studies
The sessions available include:
- Gateway Programme (September-September)
Covering: General/Academic English and IELTS preparation
- Pre-sessional courses (April-September 3, 5, 10 and 20 weeks)
Covering: Academic English
You will need to meet the entry requirements in order to follow a pre-sessional course
During your studies
The University Language Centre provides a range of in-sessional English language support services for registered students, visiting fellows and staff members whose first language is not English.
The services available include:
- Timetabled in-sessional courses for international students, covering: academic writing, academic speaking, pronunciation and grammar
- Tailored workshop sessions in academic writing and other key areas, run in negotiation with Schools and programme coordinators around the campus
- Tutorial service for students wishing to discuss and improve particular aspects of their academic writing
- Online learning resources designed to support students in their academic work