Research staff: 64
Research postgraduates: 195
Research Assessment Exercise ratings:
Materials Science 5*
Corrosion and Protection 5*
Textiles and Paper 4
The School is the largest academic Materials focus in Europe, with more than 60 academic staff and around 700 students.
The research and training opportunities offered within the School, encompass an exceptional breadth of activities from design and development to performance and protection, and management and marketing.
The School's activities are built on its global reputation for excellence in research and teaching, and this, together with close industrial links, provides graduates with an excellent launch pad for their future careers.
Flexibility to study full or part time and by distance learning further increases the popularity of the School's postgraduate programmes.
A number of industry and research council funded specialist research centres have been established in the School, providing a focus on specific research areas involving:
- Nuclear science and engineering
- Metal/polymer and composite characterisation
- Light alloys for environmentally sustainable transport
- Innovative knitted materials
- Stress and damage characterisation.
The School attracts significant sponsorship by industry and UK and EU research councils, providing fully funded PhD studentships for suitably qualified UK and EU students.
A limited number of full and partial awards are also available for eligible international students. Bursaries are normally available for several of the School's MSc programmes.
- Advanced Aerospace Materials Engineering MSc by Research
- Advanced Metallic Systems DTC PhD
- Biomedical Materials MPhil
- Biomedical Materials MSc by Research
- Biomedical Materials PhD
- Ceramics & Glasses MPhil
- Ceramics & Glasses MSc by Research
- Ceramics & Glasses PhD
- Composite Materials MSc by Research
- Composite Materials PhD
- Corrosion & Protection MSc by Research
- Corrosion and Protection PhD
- Materials MPhil
- Materials PhD
- Metallic Materials MPhil
- Metallic Materials MSc by Research
- Metallic Materials PhD
- Nanostructured Materials MPhil
- Nanostructured Materials MSc by Research
- Nanostructured Materials PhD
- Paper Science MPhil
- Paper Science MSc by Research
- Paper Science PhD
- Polymer Science & Engineering MPhil
- Polymer Science & Engineering Msc by Research
- Polymer Science & Engineering PhD
- Technical Textiles MSc by Research
- Textile Design, Fashion & Management MPhil
- Textile Design, Fashion & Management MSc by Research
- Textile Design, Fashion & Management PhD
- Textile Science & Technology MPhil
- Textile Science & Technology MSc by Research
- Textile Science & Technology PhD
- Textiles and Fashion MEnt