Mr Stephen Davies (BDS, DGDP, MDSc) - personal details
Role: Lecturer \ Lead Clinician Temporomandibular Clinic
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 6758
School of Dentistry
Higher Cambridge Street
Qualified in 1971 from Manchester and after doing a housejob decided on a carreer in practice. In 1974 he started a new practice in the southern part of Greater Manchester. He still works in the same practice, which supports five dentists and is pleased that he shares his University work with a Primary Care Dental Practice.
He has been:
- Secreatry of Stockport Local Dental Commitee
- Director of the North West Division of The Faculty of General Dental Practicioners
- Vocational Trainer in General Dental Practice on 3 occasions
- President of the Odontogical Section of the Manchester Medical Society
- Deanery Dental Tutor
In 1986, he joined the Temporoamandibular Disorders’ [TMD] clinic at the Manchester Dental School having prevoiusly studied TMD and Occlusion in the UK and USA.; since January 2001 he has been the Lead Clinician [Teaching and Research] of this clinic.
He has published 49 papers in referred journals and is co-author of 2 books on ‘TMD’ [also translated into German] and ‘Occlusion’ both of which are published in the British Dental Journal’s Clinical Guidelines series. He won the Alan Hilton Research Prize in 1995. He is the UK national representative on the Council of the European Academy of Craniomandibular Disorders.
In addition to teaching, at the undergraduate and post graduate levels, within the University of Manchester, he has supplied the Occlusal and Temporomandibular modules on:
- Diploma in Restorative Dentistry FGDP RCS UK Manchester Course
- MSc in Implantology Faculty of General Dental Practitioners, RCS [Eng]
He successfully developed the “Occlusal Sketch” technique for bite regisgtration. This has been commercially produced by Scottlander UK and is marketted as the Occlusal Sketch, by Prestige Dental. He has never and will not gain any finacial benefit from this ptoduct. A reseach tool version of this is available and has been used on several research projects; the copyright for this version is held by Manchester University.
Memberships of Committees and Professional Bodies
- British Dental Association
- Manchester Medical Society [Past President of Odontological Section]
- B.D.S. (V.U. Manc.) 1971
- D.G.D.P. (UK) R.C.S. (Eng.) 1993
- M.D.Sc. (V.U. Manc.) 1994
- General Dental Practitioner, Lead Clinician of Temporomandibular Clinic, with responsibility for Teaching and Research
- Lecturer in Dental Practice
- Medico-Legal Expert Witness
- Specialist in Restorative Dentistry
- Chairmanand and UK National Representative of the Education Committee of the European Academy of Craniomandibular Disorders [EACD[
- Joint Founder of UK Study Group for OroFacial Pain and Temporomandibular Disorders UKOT
- Lead of Temporomandibular and Occlusal Studies and Treatment Planning modules of UoM / Smile On Distance Learning MSc in Restorative and Aesthetic Dentistry