University of Manchester Discover Days are informative, interactive events for aspiring undergraduate students who are interested in certain subject areas, but may not know exactly which course to choose. They are ideal for Year 12 students, or for other people applying to university through UCAS and considering Manchester.
Discover Days give you real, in-depth insight into the unique features and opportunities of degree courses that you might study at Manchester. You’ll gain first-hand experience of university study, learn more about Manchester student life, and be able to make informed decisions about your university choices before the UCAS application process starts.
Discover Days in summer 2016
This summer we will be hosting a great programme of Discover Days in the following subjects:
- Fashion Business – unfortunately, this day can no longer go ahead. If you have any queries, please contact email@example.com.
- Sociology – Monday, 27 June
- English Literature and Creative Writing – Tuesday, 28 June
- History – Wednesday, 29 June
- Chemistry – Thursday, 30 June
- Psychology – Friday, 1 July
- Life Sciences – Tuesday, 5 July
- Philosophy – Tuesday, 5 July
- Computer Science – Wednesday, 6 July
- Law – Thursday, 7 July
- Midwifery – Thursday, 7 July
- Nursing – Tuesday, 12 July
- Engineering – Wednesday, 13 July
Discover Days form one strand of a range of opportunities available to potential applicants. You can sign up to The University of Manchester Aspiring Students' Society (UMASS). As part of UMASS you will receive a monthly newsletter and details of events for sixth-form students. You may also wish to consider attending a University-wide open day.
Why you should sign up for a Discover Day
Participants are given an invaluable opportunity to find out about the unique features of the courses at Manchester they are interested in, as well as what study and life is like at The University of Manchester.
These events will be of most benefit to learners who are seriously considering pursuing the subjects covered at degree level, and who want more in-depth knowledge about what we offer. Discover Days are for learners in Year 12, or other people who are in the process of applying to University through UCAS, who think they might want to apply for a course at Manchester.
Individual learners will benefit from small group work and plenty of opportunity to talk with existing staff and students, as well as other participants. Participants should register individually for the days using the forms on the registration pages. Teachers do not need to accompany students but are welcome to attend the events, having registered in advance.
Discover Days are a real chance to meet other people interested in your subjects who are not from your school or college. They also give teachers a detailed insight into how degree courses relating to their subject are taught, and the chance to meet the staff teaching them.
Programme of events
Each day follows a similar format, with some variations depending on the nature of the subjects covered. Events will include:
- overview of relevant degree course(s);
- career prospects talk;
- mini lecture on the subject;
- choice of interactive workshops, delivered by academic staff and postgraduate students;
- possible lab work (for certain science subjects only);
- campus and departmental tour led by current students;
- question-and-answer session with academic staff and/or current undergraduate students.
Find out more
For enquiries regarding Discover Days, email firstname.lastname@example.org.