The University of Manchester's Discover Days are informative, interactive events for aspiring undergraduate students who are interested in certain subject areas, but may not know exactly which course to choose. They are ideal for Year 12 students, or for other people applying to university through UCAS and considering Manchester.
Discover Days give you real, in-depth insight into the unique features and opportunities of degree courses that you might study at Manchester. You’ll gain first-hand experience of university study, learn more about Manchester student life and be able to make informed decisions about your university choices before the UCAS application process starts.
Who should sign up for a Discover Day
These events will be of most benefit to learners who are seriously considering pursuing the subjects covered at degree level and who want more in-depth knowledge about what we offer. Discover Days are for learners in Year 12, or other people who are in the process of applying to university through UCAS and think they might want to apply for a course at Manchester.
You can register individually for the days once registration opens. Teachers do not need to accompany students but are welcome to attend the events once registered in advance.
Registration for our summer 2018 Discover Days is now open.
Participants should register for the days themselves using the relevant individual registration form. Teachers do not need to accompany students but are welcome to attend the events if they wish.
Upon completing the registration form, you’ll receive an email within seven days confirming whether you've been allocated a place or have been put on our waiting list. Following this, we’ll email you to confirm whether a place has been allocated to you. Discover Days are usually very popular; therefore please be mindful that if you book a place on a Discover Day, and you receive confirmation from us that you have been allocated a place, we’ll be expecting you to attend on that day.
Find out more about registration.
Programme of events
Each day follows a similar format, with some variations depending on the nature of the subjects covered. Events will include:
- overview of relevant degree course(s);
- career prospects talk;
- mini-lecture on the subject;
- choice of interactive workshops, delivered by academic staff or postgraduate students;
- possible lab work (for certain science subjects only);
- campus and departmental tour led by current students;
- time for you to put your queries to Manchester staff and current students.
Find out more
Teachers and advisers
If you’re a teacher or school/college adviser you can sign up to our mailing list to be informed of forthcoming Discover Days and other University of Manchester events for Year 12 and 13 students.
Year 12 and 13 students
If you’re a student and would like to know more about Discover Days, why not join UMASS, our University of Manchester Aspiring Student Society? As part of UMASS you will receive a monthly newsletter and details of many events for Year 12 and 13 students. UMASS also gives support with the application process, an insight into student life and helps prepare you for university study.
To sign up to UMASS just complete this short online registration form.
Discover Days in summer 2018
- Discover Fashion Business – Monday, 18 June
- Discover Chemistry – Monday, 25 June
- Discover English, Drama and American Studies – Wednesday, 27 June
- Discover History and Related Subjects – Thursday, 28 June
- Discover Philosophy – Friday, 29 June
- Discover Midwifery – Thursday, 5 July
- Discover Criminology – Thursday, 5 July
- Discover Engineering – Wednesday, 11 July
- Discover Psychology – Wednesday, 11 July
- Discover Nursing – Wednesday, 11 July
- Discover Earth, Planetary and Environmental Sciences – Friday, 13 July
- Discover Biosciences – Tuesday, 17 and Wednesday, 18 July (same content on both days)
For enquiries regarding Discover Days, please email firstname.lastname@example.org