Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Menu Share this content
Menu Search the University of Manchester siteSearch
Search type

Alternatively, use our A–Z index

Japanese couple in garden

Japan / Entry requirements

General requirements for undergraduate courses

If you have completed 12 years of education in Japan and attained the Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate (Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho), then you will need to complete a foundation course or GCE A-evels to progress on to a bachelor's degree. The University may also consider students with good passes in their vocational degree (Senmonshi), an associate degree (Jun-Gakushi) or Junior College Certificate of Graduation (Tanki Daigaku Shuryo Shoshois).

You would also need to demonstrate proficiency in the English language.

General requirements for postgraduate/research courses

Taught master's

You will need a GPA of at least 3.0 (out of 4.0) or 3.75 (out of 5.0) in your undergraduate degree (Gakushi) in a relevant subject area. Strong applicants will not be asked to provide a GMAT report except for our MBA (minimum 550).


You will need to hold an undergraduate degree (Gakushi) with a GPA of at least 3.0 (out of 4.0) or 3.75 (out of 5.0) and, in most cases, a masters degree (Shushui) as well.

English language requirements

All applicants to the University (from the UK and overseas) are required to show evidence of English language proficiency.

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requires that every student from outside the UK and the EU must show evidence of a minimum level of English language in order to be granted a UK visa (Tier 4 visa) to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level. This level is often referred to as the ‘B2 level’.

Additionally, our individual Schools may ask for specific English language proficiency levels that are necessary for their academic programmes. In most cases these requirements are likely to be higher than the B2 level. Further information about our English language policy, including a list of some of the English language qualifications we accept, can be found here.

Some Schools ask that the appropriate score has been met before you apply for a course, while others give conditional offers subject to applicants achieving our general entry requirement level of English language proficiency before starting the course.

Under certain circumstances, the University may consider IGCSE/O-level English, or International Baccalaureate Language (English) or Language and Literature (English) at high grades as a recognised English language qualification.

Other entry requirements

Please note that this is generic information only. Faculties and Schools have different entry requirements and some qualifications may not be acceptable for certain courses, so it is important to check with the School directly before you apply.

Some courses have additional entry requirements such as previous work experience, submission of written work with the application or previous study of a particular subject.