Welcome to The University of Manchester, one of the top higher education institutions in Europe and a member of the prestigious Russell Group; the UK equivalent to the Ivy League.
We are the UK's largest campus-based university, with the biggest student population. We have a long history of hosting people from the US and are happy to provide support at all stages – from application to arrival, as well as for the duration of your studies at the University.
Our outstanding facilities and wide range of courses mean we are highly respected across the globe as a centre of teaching excellence, and have been ranked 56th in the U.S. News and World Report Best Global Universities Rankings 2015.
We also have a rich heritage that stretches back to 1824; many major advances of the 20th century happened here, including the birth of the first stored-program computer, the splitting of the atom and the founding principles of modern economics. As a testament to this, we count 25 Nobel Prize winners among our current and former students and staff.
Today, research remains at the heart of the University and the quality, breadth and volume of our activity is unparalleled in the UK, with strong collaborative links with industry and public services.
Why choose The University of Manchester?
- We are respected across the globe as a centre of teaching excellence.
- The University has been ranked 56th in the U.S. News and World Report Best Global Universities Rankings 2015.
- 83% of our research has been ranked as 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent' (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
- Tuition fees are competitive when compared to equivalent institutions in the US.
- You can complete your undergraduate degree in three years and your master’s in one year.
- We have a degree completion rate of 93%.
- We are the most targeted university by Britain’s top graduate employers; 91% of our graduates go straight into jobs or further study (High Fliers Research 2015).
- Eight current prime ministers and presidents have been educated at The University of Manchester, making it one of the top universities in the UK for world leaders (Times Higher Education 2015).
- You can immerse yourself in British culture and mainland Europe is easily accessible for further travel.
- You can fly direct to nine US destinations from Manchester, including New York, Washington DC and Chicago.
Find out more about:
You can also read A Guide to The University of Manchester for US students below.
Around 160 US students are studying for full degrees at The University of Manchester. In addition, a large number of students come on exchange or to study abroad with us for a semester or a year.
In 2015 the most popular subject areas for US students were:
- Arts, Histories and Cultures, in particular, Creative Writing, Art History, Religions and Theology;
- Social Sciences, in particular, Visual Anthropology and Sociology;
- Environment and Development;
- Project Management.
Other miscellaneous information
Nathan Tauger (MSc in History of Science, Technology and Medicine)
Emily Buehler (MSc in Social Research Methods and Statistics)