PhD Philosophy / Overview
Year of entry: 2018
- Degree awarded
- 36 Months. [Full-Time] 72 Months [Part-Time]
- Entry requirements
Candidates MUST normally have;
- Bachelors (Honours) degree (or overseas equivalent) at 2:1 level or above in a cognate subject, and
- Normally a Masters degree at 65% overall average with minimum 65% in dissertation and with no mark below 55% (or overseas equivalent) in a relevant cognate subject, preferably one with a substantial research methods component. Transcripts will be carefully scrutinised to ensure that applicants have the required background.
- Note; due to the volume of applications received each year, and limited spaces, regrettably offers cannot be made to all applicants who satisfy the academic entry criteria.
- All applicants who pass the initial assessment stage will be interviewed before any offer is confirmed.
- How to apply
Non UK/EU applicants are strongly advised to submit their application by July to ensure sufficient time for applying for a Visa.
- There is NO application fee.
- Supporting documents which MUST be provided along with an on-line application are: two academic reference letters, Degree transcripts and certificates, CV, Research Proposal, English language evidence (eg IELTS) if candidate is not from a majority English language speaking country. Please note that the English language evidence may be submitted after application.
Having an expert supervisor is extremely important for success in Research degree programmes and it is part of the application process that we seek suitable supervision for candidates. We cannot provide supervision across all areas and we are therefore sometimes unable to offer admission to excellent applicants. We strongly advise candidates to read the webpages of the staff or group in whose discipline they intend to specialise and to read some of their publications BEFORE applying. You may conduct a keyword search via the Philosophy home page to identify potential supervisors/research areas.
Feel free to make direct contact with any academics to discuss your proposed research topic. Please note that such contact can only be informal and no decision can be made on your application until it is submitted and processed through the Postgraduate Admissions Office. If you make a positive contact with an academic, please make sure to include their name on your application form when you submit it.
|Full-time||Part-time||Full-time distance learning||Part-time distance learning|
Students write a thesis (approx. 70,000 words) that should make a contribution to philosophy. Supervision is provided by a team of experts in the students subject area.
For entry in the academic year beginning September 2018, the tuition fees are as follows:
UK/EU students (per annum): TBA
International students (per annum): £18,000
UK/EU students (per annum): TBA
International students (per annum): £9,000
Please see the School's funding page for further information.
Please note that the School's funding page is not yet fully updated. Any queries, please email email@example.com
- School of Social Sciences (Faculty of Humanities) - Research Impact Scholarships 2018 - to be confirmed
- School of Social Sciences - PhD Studentships - 2018/2019
- School of Social Sciences - North West Consortium Doctoral Training Partnership (NWCDTP) (AHRC) - 2018/2019
- School of Social Sciences - China Scholarship Council Joint Scholarship for PhD Study
- School of Social Sciences - PhD Studentships - January 2018 start
Programmes in related subject areas
Use the links below to view lists of programmes in related subject areas.
Regulated by HEFCE
The University of Manchester is regulated by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE). HEFCE ensures we are accountable for the public funding we receive and oversees the quality of our education provision. To find out more about the regulator's role, visit the HEFCE website.
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Manchester, including our Degree Regulations and Complaints Procedure, on our regulations website.