School of Social Sciences - Trudeau Doctoral Scholarships 2023
Type of award
School of Social Sciences
$40,000 per year for three years;
$20,000 per year for three years, as research and travel allowance
Continuation of award
Continuation of the award is subject to satisfactory progress.
Level(s) of study
This funding is available to students undertaking the following types of study:
- Postgraduate research
Allowed study options
This funding is available to students undertaking the following modes of study:
This funding is available to students undertaking study in:
- Anthropology, Media and Performance
- Social Anthropology
- Social Statistics
To apply to the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Scholarship, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You must be already accepted into or in year one or two of a full-time doctoral program, and expected to complete your doctoral studies in 2026 or later.
- Your field of study is broadly related to the humanities or human sciences of direct relevance to the future of Canada; (please refer to the FAQ for more details and read up on past scholarship recipients)
- Your doctoral work must relate to at least one of the Foundation's Four Themes: Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada and the World, People and their Natural Environment.
- Be a Canadian citizen
This funding is available to students from:
Other eligibility criteria
- You must hold an offer for your preferred PhD programme before applying for the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Scholarship.
- You can then begin your application using the Trudeau Foundation's online portal . You will need to create an account and complete the application form and upload your transcripts. You must also wait until you have recieved notification that both of your referees have submitted their referral form. Once all of the above is complete, you can submit your application. The deadline to submit your application is 21 December 2022.
- If you are selected as a semi-finalist, you will be invited to participate in group interviews via video call.
- Outstanding semi-finalists will be invited to a second round of interviews, held with members of the Application and Nomination Review Committee.
- Academic excellence;
- Leadership experience and abilities;
- Thematic relevance of research to the Foundation's themes;
- Public engagement;
- Desire to contribute to public dialogue and share knowledge;
- Communication skills;
- Desire to belong to a vibrant community made up of leaders from across sectors; and
- All forms of diversity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, language, region, and discipline. We welcome First Nations, Métis, and Inuit candidates.
21 Dec 2022
The deadline to submit your completed online application to the Trudeau Foundation is 21 December 2022.
Contact details for enquiries
- School of Social Sciences
Tel: 0161 275 4743