How to apply
To apply for a postgraduate research programme at The University of Manchester, you'll need to complete and submit our online application form below.
Be aware that the things you need to do before you submit your formal application may vary according to the programme you are applying for. You can find specific guidance for each subject area on the relevant programme profile.
- Make a note of the application deadline, if there is one. We generally advise you to apply as early as possible. If you are applying to a specific programme with attached funding, application deadlines are often at the beginning of December, or even earlier for the start of the programme the following September. If you are planning to apply for a scholarship or award that is not attached to a particular project, it is normally stipulated that you hold an offer of a place from the University before applying, so you are encouraged to apply early.
- Choose and make contact with your potential supervisor.
- Make sure you have evidence of prior academic qualifications to hand – these will be certificates or transcripts to show that you meet, or expect to meet the entry requirements.
- Provide evidence of English language ability, if English is not your first language. Please note that some English language test results are only valid for two years. Your English language test report must be valid on the start date of your programme.
- Obtain two references – download our referee report form (PDF document, 50KB)
- Prepare a research proposal/piece of academic writing, if required. This will be specified on the relevant academic School website.
- Make a copy of your passport, if you will need a visa to study in the UK.
- Prepare a personal statement/statement of purpose, if required. This will be specified on the relevant academic School website.
- Prepare your CV – this is required for certain funded or project-linked awards.
Follow the link below to begin the application process. You will find instructions on how to apply throughout the form.
You can save and return to your application as many times as you like before submitting, but your application will expire after 28 days of inactivity. We will email you to remind you before this happens.
If you experience any technical difficulties in completing and submitting the application form, please contact our Postgraduate Admissions Office:
Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 4740