How to apply
You'll need to complete and submit our online application form to apply for a postgraduate research programme at The University of Manchester.
Our 2022/23 admissions cycle is now open and we are accepting applications.
Please be aware that the things you need to do before you submit your formal application may vary according to the programme you are applying for.
You can find specific guidance for each subject area on the relevant programme profile.
- Make a note of the application deadline, if there is one. We generally advise you to apply as early as possible. If you are applying to a specific programme with attached funding, application deadlines are often at the beginning of December, or even earlier for the start of the programme the following September. If you are planning to apply for a scholarship or award that is not attached to a particular project, it is normally stipulated that you hold an offer of a place from the University before applying, so you are encouraged to apply early.
- Choose and make contact with your potential supervisor.
- Make sure you have evidence of prior academic qualifications to hand, such as certificates or transcripts to show that you meet, or expect to meet the entry requirements.
- Provide evidence of English language ability, if English is not your first language. Please note that some English language test results are only valid for two years. Your English language test report must be valid on the start date of your programme.
- Obtain two references.
- Prepare a research proposal/piece of academic writing, if required. This will be specified on the relevant academic School website.
- Make a copy of your passport, if you will need a visa to study in the UK.
- Prepare a personal statement/statement of purpose, if required. This will be specified on the relevant academic School website.
- Prepare your CV – this is required for certain funded or project-linked awards.
You will be asked to set up an account that will enable you to save your application and come back to it at a later date if you wish.
Once you begin your application, use the left-hand navigation to move through the sections of the form, you can 'check your information' at each stage.
Clicking on this will either:
- ask you to complete missing information or to correct formatting (such as dates);
- mark the section of the form as 'complete';
- ask you to upload supporting documents, if needed.
If you cannot upload supporting documents, there is often a field for you to give a reason why so you can still submit your application. We will then provide you with instructions on how to provide supporting documents via an online portal.
Frequently asked questions
This enables you to save your application and return to it at a later date.
If you have multiple applications, they can all be accessed via the same account.
Once you have created an account, you can start your online application.
Not all courses require references as part of the application.
You will only be asked for the names and contact details of referees if references are required for the course you are applying for.
If you have forgotten your password, you can request a temporary password to be emailed to you.
You will be asked to set a new password once you have logged in.
Password length should be at least ten characters.
It should contain at least one upper case, one lower case, one special character and one digit. Such as Testing123%
If you forget your password and request a temporary password to be emailed to you, you will be asked your answers to the security questions you set when you created your account.
There is a Data Protection Statement at the top of the page which relates to the information you provide as part of your application to study at The University of Manchester.
There is also a link there to the wider University of Manchester Data Protection Statement relating to student data more broadly.
Click on the 'Update' button in the address section to add/change your address.
If you move house after you have applied, you can change your address directly with us using applicant self-service. You should also inform the admissions team dealing with your application.
Details of both of these routes will be provided to you once you’ve submitted your application.
You need to click on the 'change country' link and select your country.
The address fields will then be formatted appropriately.
If all the mandatory fields on the page have been completed, clicking on this button will enable the section to be marked as completed in the left-hand navigation.
It will also tell you if you have not answered any mandatory questions in the section.
Error messages usually occur if you have not completed mandatory information or if you haven’t used the format requested.
Please check your responses carefully.
If you can’t find the issue, please contact email@example.com and include a screenshot of the page you are having difficulty with.
You need to type in your full name exactly as you typed it when you completed the account set-up process.
If you get an error message relating to the signature section, it may be that you mistyped your name when you set your account up.
You can resolve this by copying (Ctrl + C) and pasting (Ctrl + V) your name from the 'signed-in as' section on the top left of the screen, into the signature section.