EU students considering Manchester

While the UK has now formally left the EU, the Transition Period (which will end on 31 December 2020) is currently ongoing.

The UK government has confirmed that negotiations are on-going despite the disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Negotiations concerning the UK’s future relationship are still in progress but we want to make sure you have access to the latest information. This page will be updated as more information becomes available. 

The University of Manchester is, and will continue to be, not just a UK but also a global university that embraces staff, students, and academic and business partnerships from across the world. 

As a University, we value the intellectual and cultural contribution EU students, members of staff and partners make to our international community.  

Each year we welcome one of the largest international student populations in the UK to our University. Whatever you study, you’ll soon make friends from across the world – there are 160 different nationalities represented on campus, including students from across the EU and EEA, as well as further afield.

The information on this page is designed for prospective students, applicants and offer holders. If you are a current student, visit student support.

Date of last update: 15 July 2020. The information below was correct to the best of our knowledge at the time of writing, but is subject to change.  

Fee status and access to student finance

Starting your studies in 2020/21

EU students starting their courses (undergraduate, taught postgraduate or research) in the academic year 2020/21 will be eligible for the Home tuition fee and will also be able to apply for the relevant financial support for the duration of their programmes:

  • For undergraduate students this will normally be the tuition fee loan
  • For postgraduate taught and postgraduate research students, this will normally be the postgraduate loan – the masters loan or the doctoral loan

This has been confirmed by the UK government.

To find out more about our tuition fees by level of study, the financial support you will be able to apply for and information on cost of living, visit our Student Finance pages:

Starting your studies in 2021/22 and beyond

The UK government confirmed on 23 June 2020 that EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for home fees or Student Finance England support for courses starting in the academic year 2021/22.

The EU Settlement Scheme

The EU Settlement Scheme is for EU nationals who plan to enter the UK on or before 31 December 2020. 

  • As part of the Withdrawal Agreement, if you are an EU student arriving to study in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 you will not require a visa to enter the UK to start your studies. 
  • However, if you have entered the UK on or before 31 December 2020 and plan to remain in the UK after 30 June 2021 then you may need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (depending on your individual circumstances). Most EU/EEA citizens and Swiss nationals will need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme if they wish to remain in the UK after 30 June 2021, although there are a few exceptions (eg British citizen living in Europe or non-EU national living in Europe).

The future immigration and visa landscape

The future immigration and visa landscape  for students who plan to enter the UK to start their studies on or after 1 January 2021. 

If you are a student who plans to arrive in the UK to start your studies on or after 1 January 2021, it is anticipated that a new UK immigration system will come into effect from this date, full details of which are not yet available. This page will be updated as more information becomes available. In the meantime, you can read overview information on the UK government website.

For any further queries, please contact