Research Group on University History
The Research Group on University History promotes and coordinates research and teaching on the history of The University of Manchester and of universities more generally. Through its work the Group seeks to advance the understanding of universities and their place in society.
The Group was created in 2014 and its membership is composed of individuals from across the University who have broad interests and skills in the history of the University and institutions. It aims for a broad and international approach and to engage with cognate fields and disciplines.
Part of the Group’s role is to drive research proposals and coordinate and support applications for funding. It also proactively supports publications, lectures and seminars on the history of the University.
The Group welcome enquires from individuals in any discipline both inside and outside the University regarding research or teaching on the University’s history or conserving our past.
- Professor Stuart Jones, Professor of Intellectual History (Chair)
- Professor Matthew Cobb, Professor of Zoology
- Professor Linda Evans, Professor of Education
- Dr Kostas Arvanitis, Senior Lecturer in Museology
- Dr Martin Dodge, Senior Lecturer in Geography
- Dr Chris Godden, Senior Lecturer in Economic History
- Dr James Sumner, Senior Lecturer in the History of Technology
- Eric Lybeck, Presidential Fellow
- John Hodgson, Head of Special Collections, University of Manchester Library
- Dr James Peters, Archivist, University of Manchester Library