The University of Manchester is committed to supporting postgraduate research students. Each year we invest substantially in doctoral funding.
In addition to these internal funds the University is highly successful in attracting sponsorship for research students, particularly from the research councils, industry, trusts and charities.
- A good first step in exploring funding options is to speak to staff within your subject area to find out how previous students have financed their studies.
- Search our funding opportunities database to ascertain which awards are available.
- Search our project listings to find directly-funded, competition-funded and self-funded projects. Competition-funded projects are projects that are in competition for funding with other projects. Usually the project which receives the best applicant will be successful.
- Faculty and School websites often provide further information, particularly about project-specific studentships. These studentships can be advertised at any time throughout the year.
- Some PhD funding schemes involve applying directly for advertised projects, while others require you to develop a research proposal alongside a supervisory team. Make sure you read the criteria carefully in advance.
- Before applying for a studentship, read through the eligibility criteria thoroughly, and ensure you note the closing deadline.
Loans for doctoral students
Find out if you qualify for a postgraduate doctoral loan.
Explore the funding opportunities available for postgraduate research students.
Centres for Doctoral Training
See what funding opportunities are available in these centres of cutting-edge research.
President’s Doctoral Scholar Award
We offer 100 elite studentships a year under this flagship scheme.