Travel by bus, tram or coach
There are various ways to travel to The University of Manchester by coach, bus or tram.
National Express coaches serve over 1,200 destinations across the UK from the Chorlton Street Coach Station, which is near Piccadilly railway station and a short walk from both University campuses.
You can contact the Chorlton Street Coach Station be telephone on 08705 808080.
Directions to Sackville Street campus
Turn right out of Chorlton Street Coach Station onto Chorlton Street and walk to the junction with Whitworth Street. Cross Whitworth Street and the Sackville Street part of the campus is straight ahead.
Directions to Oxford Road campus
Walk to Whitworth Street as above and catch the Magic 147 bus to the Oxford Road area of the campus.
For more information about National Express coaches, see:
Bus and tram
There are local bus services running throughout the Greater Manchester area, together with the Metrolink tram service.
Free bus service
The Magic 147 bus offers free travel for University of Manchester staff and students between the Sackville Street and Oxford Road areas of the campus.
External services to the Oxford Road area of the campus include:
- Buses from Piccadilly Bus Station: 14, 16, 41, 42, 43, 43a, 44, 45a, 48, 111, 140, 142, 157, 250.
- Buses from Oxford Road Station: All buses that run along Oxford Road.
- Buses from Cross Street outside Boots the Chemist: 47, 87, 50, 143, 197, 291.
- Buses from Manchester Airport: 43a, 45a.
- Bus from Piccadilly Train Station: 147.
- Bus from Victoria Station: 42.
- Bus from Shudehill Interchange: 18.
- Tram: Alight at St Peter's Square and walk or catch a bus down Oxford Road.
Services to the Sackville Street area of the campus include:
- Tram (Metrolink) – various lines to Piccadilly station, which is a short walk away.
- Buses along London Road: 107, 192, 196, 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 373.
- Bus along Sackville Street: 140.
For information on bus and tram timetables, services and saver tickets within Greater Manchester, visit the Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) website.