Round up of papers, awards and external engagement, Oct - Nov 2018
Here is a selection of papers, talks and external engagement from the last two months.
- All recent papers from MUI researchers can be found via the University's research portal
Recent and upcoming talks, visits and engagement
- Stefan Bouzarovski:
- Discussant at the Regional Geographies of Electricity session, RGS-IBG, 30 August
- Rapporteur and panellist, Citizens’ Energy Forum, Dublin, 20 September
- Invited speaker, Workshop on socio-ecological justice, University of Erfurt, 20 September
- Tom Gillespie: invited to give a talk on urban dispossession in the Department of Geography and International Development at the University of Chester on 16 October
- Elisa Pieri:
- 'Sociological knowledge, pandemic preparedness and the potential for participatory crisis governance' Talk delivered to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), Stockholm, 3 October 2018
- Extended research visit to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), Stockholm, from 20 September to 4 October. I was hosted by Country Preparedness Support, and I met and interviewed a range of experts, primarily in public health emergency preparedness, epidemic intelligence, respiratory infectious disease outbreaks and pandemic influenza. I attended a range of events including an annual 48h meeting of the National (EU members states plus EU accession countries) Focal Points for preparedness, response and threat detection. I also gave the talk mentioned above.
- Alfredo Stein: visited Honduras from 9-14 September to follow up on the Asset Planning for Climate Change Adaptation Project funded by the Nordic Development Fund through the Inter-American Development Bank and implemented in collaboration with local counterparts. During his stay, he also met with authorities of the National Autonomous University of Honduras (UNAH), in preparations for a visit from UNAH to the University of Manchester on the 8-9 October 2018. UNAH’s delegation will be headed by the Chancellor Dr Francisco Herrera. Publications: Stein, A. (2018) Cambio Climático y Conflictividad Socio Ambiental en America Latina y el Caribe (Climate change and socio-environmental conflicts in Latin America and the Caribbean) in America Latina Hoy Vol 79 pgs. 9-39. http://revistas.usal.es/index.php/1130-2887/issue/current/showToc
- Joanne Tippett: Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Children & Young People’s Services Committee in Ireland has been using Ketso to foster inter-agency collaboration in improving services for young people and children in the county in Ireland. On 21st September 2018, 14 people from organisations across the county attended a training session at Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council with Joanne Tippett, the founder of Ketso, in order to explore how to use Ketso in engaging with young people and children. The workshop was sponsored by Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Children & Young People’s Services Committee to build service capacity to consult with children, young people and service stakeholders. 21 Sept.
- Mark Usher presented a paper at this year’s RGS Annual Conference in Cardiff, titled ‘Cultivating civil society: urban commoning and the new politics of landscape’. This was part of the ‘Landscapes of civil society’ sessions, 30 August
- Albena Yaneva: invited to give a talk on urban dispossession in the Department of Geography and International Development at the University of Chester on 16 October.