Teaching Excellence Framework 2023
The University is rated silver overall, gold for student outcomes, and silver for student experience.
The TEF 2023 exercise has allowed us to showcase the amazing teaching and learning initiatives across the University, and the brilliant outcomes our students achieve as they gain their qualifications and move on to excellent graduate jobs or further study.Professor April McMahon / Vice-President for Teaching, Learning and Students
- Overall rating: Silver.
- Student outcomes: Gold.
- Student experience: Silver.
The Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) is a national government exercise run by the Office for Students (OfS) that takes place every four years to:
- Evaluate the quality of the undergraduate student experience.
- Incentivise improvement and excellence in teaching and learning.
- Better inform students’ choices about what and where to study.
All higher education providers in England with at least 500 undergraduate students must take part in TEF. Providers in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are able to take part on a voluntary basis.
TEF evaluations are carried out by a panel of academic (two-thirds) and student (one-thirds) members who review:
- A mandatory provider submission, which provides an overview of the university and is split into two aspects: student experience and student outcomes.
- An optional student submission.
- TEF indicator data for the past four academic years (2018/19 to 2021/22 for the 2023 assessment). The indicators contribute no more than half of the evidence of excellence.
TEF 2023 results
Along with other providers, The University of Manchester received ratings in three areas:
- Provider overall: Silver
- Student experience: Silver – the indicator data is based on five areas of the NSS: teaching on courses; assessment and feedback; academic support; learning resources; and student voice.
- Student outcomes: Gold – the indicator data is based on continuation, completion, and progression (graduate outcomes survey).
Looking ahead, we will continue to embrace the ethos of TEF to improve the student experience and provide excellence in teaching, learning and student outcomes, tailored to our students and courses, and with ample opportunities for educational gains.
Explore examples of our teaching and learning excellence in practice:
- Empowering Student Partners: Working with our Library's Student Team
- Flexible Learning - Partnering with Students
- Recognising and Rewarding Teaching Excellence
- Assessments for the Future
Teaching and learning excellence
Discover our award-winning, research-enhanced approach and how we help students realise their full potential.
Find out more
We're working alongside our students and staff to create lifelong, flexible learning that benefits our whole community.
Find out more