What to bring to halls

To help plan your move to university, we've put together a list of what's already included in your room and what you'll need to bring.

What will be in my room?

  • bed
  • desk and chair
  • lamp
  • wardrobe
  • chest of drawers

What do I need to bring?

  • bed linen – our bed sizes differ in halls, to confirm please contact accommodation
  • duvet
  • pillows
  • towels
  • electrical adapters (if you're arriving from outside the UK)
  • cooking utensils and cutlery
  • crockery and pans
  • passport-sized photos of you for your meal card (catered accommodation only)

If you're staying in self-catered halls, you may want to wait until you meet your new flatmates before you buy anything, so you don't end up with duplicate items.

If you're in catered halls, you may still wish to bring kitchen items for weekends or if you're going to be in at lunchtime. Kitchens in catered halls do, however, have less storage space than in self-catered halls.

Bed linen – our bed sizes differ in halls, to confirm please contact accommodation@manchester.ac.uk



You can order bedding, kitchen and bathroom kits through our friends at UniKitOut, who deliver directly to your halls before you arrive.

Save 10% with discount code MU10.

Find out more about UniKitOut

Important items to remember

  • photo ID
  • your University ID number
  • NHS medical card (if you have one)
  • any medication you may need
  • details of medical insurance (if needed)
  • bank card and account information
  • any other documents relating to your course 

Making your hall a home

Moving to halls might be your first time living away from home and it can feel a little daunting, but you can add a few finishing touches to make your room an enjoyable space to live and study.

You could decorate your room with:

  • photos
  • books
  • plants
  • cushions and blankets
  • anything else that helps make a room feel cosy to you