English language support for international master’s students

Master’s students whose first language is not English can take courses before and during their degree to help improve their skills.

You can take advantage of the following English language support:

  • Preparation courses.
  • Intensive pre-sessional academic English courses are provided before your degree begins.
  • Part-time in-sessional classes for international students if they need more support during their studies.
  • A service offering advice and help for international students, available at the University Language Centre.

The University of Manchester is an IELTS testing centre, which means you can prepare for and take your English language examinations in the same place.

All our English language courses are accredited by the British Council and our pre-sessional courses are also accredited by the British Association of Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes (BALEAP).

English language support before registration

The following support and related courses are also available before registration:

  • University preparation programmes (September to June): general/academic English, IELTS preparation.
  • Pre-sessional courses (April to September, 3–20 weeks): academic English.

English language support after registration

The following support services are available after registration:

  • Testing service with recommendations on results available to departments and students.
  • In-sessional support classes: academic writing/listening and speaking/pronunciation.
  • Academic writing consultations/clinics: advice, feedback and tutorial support.

About the University Language Centre

The University Language Centre has over 30 years experience of running English language courses for our international students. These courses are accredited by the British Council.

The University Language Centre is an IELTS testing centre and its pre-sessional courses are accredited by BALEAP.

For further information, please contact englang@manchester.ac.uk or visit the University Language Centre website.