MSc Advanced Computer Science / Course details
Year of entry: 2020
Teaching and learning
Coursework and assessment
Lectures and seminars are supported by practical exercises that impart skills as well as knowledge. These skills are augmented through an MSc project that enables students to put into practice the techniques they have been taught throughout the course.
Course unit details
This is a high quality course aimed at imparting advanced knowledge across a broad range of Computer Science and offering training in advanced skills. It is suitable for those who wish to enhance their computing skills in order to improve their contribution to IT-related industry or to pursue R&D in academia or industry.
A student following the Advanced Computer Science course chooses two from about a dozen themes, each of which combines two related course units that build on top of each other. Certain combinations are integrated into specialised pathways . A student who opts to follow the pathways will have the pathway specialism included in their degree certificate.
Course unit list
The course unit details given below are subject to change, and are the latest example of the curriculum available on this course of study.
|Automated Reasoning and Verification||COMP60332||15||Optional|
|Modelling Data on the Web||COMP60411||15||Optional|
|Principles of Digital Biology||COMP60532||15||Optional|
|Introduction to Health Informatics||COMP60542||15||Optional|
|Foundations of Machine Learning||COMP61011||15||Optional|
|Modelling and Visualisation of High-Dimensional Data||COMP61021||15||Optional|
|Displaying 10 of 19 course units|
|Display all course units|
Additional fee information
- Newly refurbished computing labs furnished with modern desktop computers
- Access to world leading academic staff
- Collaborative working labs complete with specialist computing and audio visual equipment to support group working.
- Over 300 computers in the Department dedicated exclusively for the use of our students.
- An Advanced Interfaces Laboratory to explore real time collaborative working;
- A Nanotechnology Centre for the fabrication of new generation electronic devices;
- An e-Science Centre and Access Grid facility for worldwide collaboration over the internet.
- Access to a range of Integrated Development Environments (IDEs)
- Specialist electronic system design and computer engineering tools.