MSc Management and Information Systems: Change and Development (Distance Learning)
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
e-Business - Organisation and Strategy
|Unit level||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Offered by||Global Development Institute|
|Available as a free choice unit?||Yes|
1. Introducing e-business
2. e-Business strategy
3. Information systems and business alignment
4. Information systems and business integration
5. e-Commerce business models
6. Analysis, evaluation and design of e-commerce business models
7. Emerging forms of e-business
8. Issues impacting upon e-business adoption
This module investigates the theory and practice of electronic business (e-business) within specific organisational and business contexts. An understanding of e-business will cover the use of digital technologies and the Internet to facilitate key internal information systems (IS) processes and external relationships such as through electronic commerce (e-commerce). A range of established and emerging e-business frameworks and e-commerce models are examined. Case studies will be drawn from developed, transitional and developing countries.
After completing the module participants will be able to:
- Understand the characteristics of information technology innovation and the business opportunities offered
- Define key e-business concepts and principles and their application to organisational objectives.
- Analyse the organisational and environmental context within which e-business systems operate.
- Understand the relationship between organisational objectives and e-business strategy.
- Evaluate a range of e-commerce models, and their application.
- Understand key issues that impact upon e-business success or failure in developing and transitional countries.
Teaching and learning methods
Distance Learning Mode including weekly online tutorials
One 3,500 word essay (90%)
Participation in 6/8 tutorial topics (10%)
Re-sit Assessment: One 3,500 word essay (100%)
Course unit textbooks
Bocij, P., Greasley, A. & Hickie, S. (2008) Business Information Systems, 4th edn, Harlow: Pearson
Heeks, R. (2006) Implementing and Managing eGovernment: An International Text, London: Sage
Laudon, K. & Laudon, J. (2009) Management Information Systems, 11th end, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson
MGDI Programmes on which course unit is offered:
MSc Management and Information Systems: Change and Development (via Distance Learning