Year of entry: 2024
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Introduction to Accounting
|FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree
|Available as a free choice unit?
There will be ten lectures and one revision session, structured around the following topics:
1. Introduction to Accounting, Financial versus Management Accounting, Introduction to Financial Accounting
2. The Income Statement - Principles of Measurement in the Financial Statements
3. Introduction to Limited Liability Companies, Accounting for Limited Liability Companies, (Example- focused)
4. The Statement of Cash Flows, Linking the Statement of Cash Flows to the Statement of Financial Position and the Income Statement
5. Using Financial Statements : Financial Ratios and What They Can and Cannot Mean
6. Accounting for managerial decision making
7. Costs, cost behaviour, and cost analysis
8. Principles of cost allocation
9. Budgeting for planning and control
10. Capital investment appraisal
This course covers both the external financial information aspect of accounting, known as financial accounting, and the internal aspect of accounting, known as management accounting. These two elements of accounting have different characteristics, however, they are inter-dependent. The course considers how internal decisions affect external reporting and how the requirements of external reporting might impact internal decisions. The emphasis of this course is on developing your understanding of accounting principles and applying your understanding of accounting to practical situations.
Providing basic accounting literacy, including ability to understand and analyse financial reports.
Providing an understanding of how accounting is used by external stakeholders, such as stock market analysts, investors and creditors.
Providing an understanding of how accounting information is used for planning, controlling and coordinating operations within organizations.
100% written examination
Written and in class
The recommended text is McLaney, E. and Atrill, P. (2014) Accounting and Finance : An Introduction 7th edition published by Pearson. But please check that you get the most up to date version at the time of purchase. Also please ensure that you get the correct book including both financial and management accounting chapters - these authors have a number of different titles.
|Scheduled activity hours
|Assessment written exam
|Independent study hours
Informal Contact Method
Online Learning Activities (blogs, discussions, self-assessment questions)