MSc Advanced Control and Systems Engineering with Extended Research / Course details
Year of entry: 2020
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Extended Dissertation Project
|Unit level||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree|
|Teaching period(s)||Full year|
|Offered by||Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
Brief Description of the Unit:
The student will carry out the research programme outlined in the Project Specification and will write and submit a Poster, an Extended Abstract, an Academic Paper and a Dissertation on the subject of this research, and will also give a Presentation on the research subject at a mini-conference.
The Dissertation should demonstrate an appropriate level of professional competence in the practical development of a suitable application that meets a perceived need, specification or the realisation of a research project.
Students will be able to:
Knowledge and understanding
· Describe and evaluate the methodology used.
· Demonstrate the application of the appropriate disciplinary skills.
· Describe and evaluate the solution and its theoretical and practical significance.
· Analyse a problem and the relevant literature or practical context.
· Design an appropriate solution.
· Appraise critically the project, indicating the rationale for the proposed solution, lessons learnt during the course of the project, and evaluation of the solution and methodology used.
· Use of software simulation and CAD tools as appropriate in the construction of the problem solution.
· Use programming and software tools relevant to the system operation.
· Use appropriate test and measurement equipment to acquire data related to the problem.
· Use hardware necessary to construct and integrate the system.
· Use software tools as appropriate to record and analyse data.
Transferable skills and personal qualities
· Demonstrate creativity and problem solving skills.
· Demonstrate academic writing (including use of references), project management, risk analysis, project documentation.
· Demonstrate presentation skills to a large audience.
Number of Credits
Poster and Presentation
Academic Paper Presentation
|Independent study hours|