Course unit details:
||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree
||Variable teaching patterns
||School of Dentistry
|Available as a free choice unit?
Teaching in the specialty clinical units of periodontology is provided throughout the programme. Instruction will be given in clinical aspects of periodontology in the form of demonstrations, shadowing of staff, seminars and practical clinical skills sessions as well as clinical exercises.
The aims of this unit are:
• to train the student in the identification, formulation and implementation of a specific research project.
• to give the student experience of working (researching) independently
• to test the extent to which the student has achieved synthesis of his/her skills and knowledge via a report (dissertation) of the research topic.
Teaching and learning methods
On successful completion of the unit, each student will have acquired:
• training to carry out a supervised research topic
• experience in preparing the research topic
• experience in producing a bound dissertation of 7,000 – 10,000 words based on research and by the required submission date.
• skills to be able to discuss and defend the research and results in an oral examination
Feedback forms will be completed by examiners for all elements of accredited assessment and students are encouraged to make an appointment with the Director via the Programme Administrator to discuss such feedback.
|Scheduled activity hours
|Work based learning
|Independent study hours
Return to course details