The University of Manchester's transparency information
The University is required by the Office for Students (OfS) to provide transparency information about degree attainment data.
It is important to note that the degree attainment data haven't been contextualised and therefore do not take into account the grades and qualifications students enter the University with.
The University recognises that some groups of students are currently more likely than others to be awarded a good degree (first or 2:1) and has committed to targets in its Access and Participation Plan (Word doc, 95KB) to eliminate such gaps where these exist. This includes the gap between White and Black students and White and Asian students, disabled and non-disabled students and between those from the most and least disadvantaged backgrounds. These targets support the OfS’ work to address these gaps which exist at sector level through their key performance measures.
Key for the table:
- N/A – not applicable as no qualifiers at this mode and level;
- N – 24 or fewer students in this population;
- DP – data suppressed for data protection reasons.
Additional notes regarding the data:
- The number of students studying part-time and apprenticeship undergraduate courses at the University is small, therefore these numbers have been suppressed as they don't meet the required threshold set by the OfS.
- The classification of a first degree indicates the qualification class obtained. Certain qualifications obtained at first-degree level are not subject to the classification of an award, notably medical and general degrees. These, together with ordinary degrees and aegrotat qualifications are included within unclassified.
Degree attainment data
Percentages of first degrees at grade 2:1 or above by characteristic for 2020-21 qualifiers
|EIMD quintile||1 and 2||84.3%|
|3 to 5||93.8%|
Use the scroll bar to look along the table columns below:
|Mode of study||Characteristic||Characteristic split||Number of classified first degrees awarded||Percentage awarded as first class||Percentage awarded as upper second class||Percentage awarded as lower second class||Percentage awarded as third class/pass||Number of unclassified first degrees awarded||Number of other undergraduate awards|