How to apply
Find out how to apply for the Manchester Access Programme.
2023 applications are now open
Applications are open for the Manchester Access Programme.
The closing date is 11.59pm on Sunday, 11 December 2022.
Before you apply, please check that the programme is right for you and that you meet all the essential and at least one priority criteria on our eligibility page.
If you wish to apply, please complete the online application form.
The deadline for applications is 11.59pm on Sunday, 11 December 2022.
Choosing your MAP strand
There are three strands of MAP available: Medicine, Dentistry and general, each with its own eligibility criteria.
1. Medicine or Dentistry strands are for applicants who have an interest in pursuing Medicine or Dentistry at university and meet the additional GCSE and A-level criteria.
2. The general strand is for applicants who have an interest in pursuing any other course at university that is not Medicine or Dentistry.
Completing your application form
Before starting your application please be aware of the following:
- the application form will take approximately one hour to complete;
- you will need to provide specific information on the form;
- there is a section where you can tell us if you have experienced any challenging circumstances that should be taken into account when reviewing your application (please see our eligibility page);
- you must complete all fields on the form, we may not be able to contact you if any information is missing;
- we are only able to consider one application. If you submit more than one application we will consider the most recently submitted.
Finishing your application
Before you submit your application, please consider the following:
- Accuracy – all of your information on the application form must be correct to the best of your knowledge.
- Evidence – make sure you have gathered evidence to support your application, such as a letter from your school confirming you get free school meals, GCSE certificates, evidence of 16-19 bursary. Please keep in mind that if you are unable to provide the evidence required, we may be unable to offer you a place on the Programme.
Frequently asked questions
Click on each question for more information.
No, we do not accept Year 13 students on to MAP as the intensive programme of activities and academic work may interfere with your A-level studies.
If you're not eligible for MAP, Access Manchester allows you to view all the different access schemes on offer at The University of Manchester and check eligibility.
As the scheme is highly competitive, a place is not guaranteed, so we would not recommend that you resit Year 12 solely to apply to MAP.
However, if you are considering resitting Year 12 for other reasons, we would advise that you contact the admissions office for any courses that you are planning to apply for.
They will be able to give guidance on how they will view this decision, as some courses may make higher offers to students who have repeated Year 12 and some may not be considered at all.
You can find contact details for all admissions offices at The University of Manchester through the individual course profiles on our website.
Yes, if you meet the essential criteria then you may still apply.
If you have appropriate equivalent qualifications to GCSEs then you are encouraged to apply and it will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
If you don't meet all of the essential criteria but have experienced difficult family or individual circumstances that have affect your performance in exams or the likelihood of going to university, we can still consider your application to MAP on an individual basis.
Please provide the relevant details on the application form. You can find more information about extenuating circumstance on our eligibility page.