- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BEng Mechanical Engineering with Management
Year of entry: 2024
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Design 3 (Mechanical)
|Unit level||Level 3|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
In this unit the students work in small groups and act as an engineering design team tasked with solving a design problem inspired by real industrial experience. Past projects have included the design of a wildfire fighting equipment, the design of a testing device for measuring the efficiency of medical face masks, and the design of a novel propelling aid for improving inclusivity of wheelchair users in low-resource settings.
The aim of the unit is to provide both individual and group work experience in designing an engineered device or system by:
- integrating sustainable development, sustainable development goals (SDGs), Equality, Diversity, Inclusion and Access (EDIA), life-cycle costing, probabilistic approach, and their relationship with the design process,
- utilising core course material assimilated in years one and two.
The students form groups or teams (4-6 members depending on the task) and are given a design brief by the client (the lecturers). By the end of the unit (week 12) each group is expected to present a feasible solution to the problem given in the design brief. By the end of the unit, the students will be able to:
- work efficiently within a small team,
- explain sustainability and relevant sustainable development goals (SDGs) in the design process,
- explain relevant Equality, Diversity, Inclusion and Access (EDIA) aspects in the design process,
- evaluate design solutions and related materials/systems in the context of sustainability principles,
- communicate effectively with team members, and
- produce group-based documents.
In order to successfully complete the unit, the groups have to perform a number of design tasks and submit the supporting documentation as described below.
Each team member has to develop a concept that could fulfil the technical specification supplied and submit this concept based on the guidelines provided. Upon completion of this task, the students will be able to:
- conduct research into design problems,
- develop concepts from initial ideas and inspirations,
- communicate concepts in an unambiguous and effective manner.
Other - online quiz
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Akin Atas||Unit coordinator|