- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
MEng Aerospace Engineering
Year of entry: 2024
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
|Available as a free choice unit?
This module covers fundamental aerodynamic concepts of the rotor and the aircraft, blade dynamics, helicopter stability and control, helicopter performance in various flight conditions, mission analysis and configuration design.
This module covers the role of engineering research to the development of the helicopter as we know today. Key aspects taught in this course include helicopter systems, rotor aerodynamics, blade dynamics, stability and trim, helicopter performance and design, helicopter engines.
This course unit detail provides the framework for delivery in 20/21 and may be subject to change due to any additional Covid-19 impact. Please see Blackboard / course unit related emails for any further updates
- The purpose of this module is to introduce students to vertical-lift vehicles. These are a wide class of technologically advanced flight vehicles that use rotary wings as their main propulsion system.
- This module is multi-disciplinary and includes aerodynamics, flight mechanics, dynamics, etc.
- At the end of the module, the students will have acquired basic engineering knowledge that allows them to understand these vehicles, how they can be designed, how they can be operated.
- This module also introduces the concept of flight safety.
- Students are instructed on the basics of helicopter design and carry out a simple design assignment
- An external lecture is given to demonstrate that helicopters save lives every day – on land and at sea.
- Technology history
- Helicopter configurations
- Helicopter engines
- Aerodynamics Part I: Rotors
- Aerodynamics Part II: Airfoils
- Hover flight
- Vertical flight
- Forward flight
- Blade element theory
- Blade dynamics, Part I
- Blade dynamics, Part II, forward flight
- Aerodynamics Part III: Dynamic stall
- Helicopter Performance
- Rotor noise
- Intro to Helicopter Design
- Rotor blade tips
- Flight Safety and Risk Analysis
- Rotor Tip Vortex
- Tail Rotor Effectiveness
- Helicopter Transmission & Power Trains
Other - online quiz
Exam - through script viewing
Online quiz - immediately
Written report - within 2 weeks
|Scheduled activity hours
|Independent study hours