- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BASS Sociology and Criminology / Course details
Year of entry: 2024
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Regional Studies of Culture: 2
|Available as a free choice unit?
This course is an introduction to the anthropology of two selected ethnographic regions. It comprises two consecutive sections, each consisting five lectures plus guided reading and dealing with a particular region.
|Intro to Ethnographic Reading
|Key Ideas in Social Anthropology
Aims for Regional Studies of Culture
• Students will gain an overview of the anthropological studies of each region from historical and contemporary perspectives.
• Students will understand the key themes and theories that have shaped a regional study.
• Students will learn to read ethnographic texts critically, and develop the skill of close reading and analysis of anthropological texts.
• Students will be able to recognize the anthropological arguments developed from comparisons between different studies and different cultures, and why they matter in wider anthropology.
• Students will develop skills in writing analytical and well-structured answers to essay questions.
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures and Weekly Tutorials
75% One final 1000-word essay per block
25% Weekly exercises - (4 x 250 words)
Personalised electronic feedback
There will be weekly discussions of required readings in tutorials.
|Scheduled activity hours
|Independent study hours
Length of Course: 12 weeks over one semester