- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
MEng Materials Science and Engineering with Biomaterials
Year of entry: 2024
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Microstructures of Materials
|Department of Materials
|Available as a free choice unit?
This unit introduces the concept of a microstructure in materials science. The importance of microstructure in determining material properties is introduced.
- Introduce the concept of a microstructure with examples from metallic, ceramic, polymeric, composite, and natural (biological) materials.
- Provide the skills to investigate and interpret common microstructural features in the above classes of materials using optical microscopy.
- Introduce the relationships between microstructure and phase equilibria (phase diagrams) for simple systems.
- Introduce the mechanisms that control evolution of microstructure during processing and the effect of process variables.
A greater depth of the learning outcomes will be covered in the following sections:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Intellectual skills
- Practical skills
- Transferable skills and personal qualities
Teaching and learning methods
Knowledge and understanding
Transferable skills and personal qualities
|Written assignment (inc essay)
Feedback given verbal + written
|Scheduled activity hours
|Independent study hours