- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
MEng Materials Science and Engineering with Polymers
Year of entry: 2024
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Design, Management and Team Project
|Department of Materials
|Available as a free choice unit?
This unit aims to improve employability by equipping students with many of the important skills necessary for working in a commercial engineering environment. In particular, the unit focuses on project management, component design and materials selection capabilities. The unit provides an experience of working in a team to solve a complex design challenge, which is another important aspect of industrial work.
The unit aims to:
- To introduce principles of modern project management.
- To introduce basic principles of design in a materials engineering context.
- To introduce basic finite element (FE) stress analysis and associated CAD.
- To introduce concepts of materials selection.
- To allow you to experience working as part of a team on a project.
A greater depth of the learning outcomes will be covered in the following sections:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Intellectual skills
- Practical skills
- Transferable skills and personal qualities
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures will be used to introduce and review concepts, principles and techniques related to project management. Laboratory sessions are student-centred and will use software on computer clusters, e.g. Abaqus and CES EduPack; these sessions will introduce concepts and modes of thinking relevant to contemporary design thinking and provide opportunities to put these into practice. A key aspect of the labs is for the students to develop familiarity with the use of modelling software in design processes.
Knowledge and understanding
Transferable skills and personal qualities
|Written assignment (inc essay)
Verbal and written
Web based resources provided via BB
|Scheduled activity hours
|Independent study hours