- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BA Film Studies and Italian
Year of entry: 2024
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Dissertation in Drama/Film (Semester One)
|Available as a free choice unit?
The Dissertation is an independent research project, focusing on an aspect of drama relevant to your degree and in which you have a particular interest. It is an opportunity to conceive, plan, manage and realise an independent research project, under supervision, and it will develop your planning, project management, research and writing skills. The Dissertation is your own work and will express your own views, analyses and enthusiasms, and the end result comprises your unique contribution to Drama as a discipline. Students take part in one-to-one supervisions and complementary research training workshops. Supervisors help students to define their topic and keep an eye on whether the project is within a student’s ability to complete in the timeframe and permitted word limit. Research training workshops focus on skills in planning and managing research, supervision, research proposals, research methods, research ethics, and writing up research.
- writing skills appropriate to the demands of an extended piece of professional research.
Knowledge and understanding
- communicate ideas and articulate an argument through discussion and assessed written work
Transferable skills and personal qualities
- Analytical skills
- ¿ Analytical skills (analysing texts and materials)
- ¿ Leadership skills (being responsible for overseeing a research project from inception through to submission)
- Project management
- ¿ Time management (structuring and organising extended writing and research project)
- ¿ Editing (selection of relevant material and deciding shape of research project);
- ¿ Initiative (developing own research questions and setting agenda)
|Written assignment (inc essay)
Formative or Summative
Formative feedback given during supervisions - oral
Detailed formative feedback given at key milestones through the process (see syllabus)
Dissertation – written
Students follow a course of reading appropriate to their independent research.
|Scheduled activity hours