Who can go?

Most students on an undergraduate programme at The University of Manchester can apply to spend time at one of our overseas partner universities.

Entry requirements

To be eligible to apply for the Study Abroad programme you will need to have:

  • a miniumum academic average of 60% at The University of Manchester (a higher average may be required by some academic Schools);
  • a satisfactory attendance record;
  • if you choose a partner university where the teaching provision is not in English, you must have a demonstrable ability, such as an A-level or equivalent quaification, in the relevant language.

When would I go?

  • If you are on a three-year course, your semester abroad would take place in Year Two and you would need to apply in Year One.
  • If you are on a four-year course, your full-year abroad would take place in Year Three and you would need to apply in Year Two.

Counting time towards your Manchester degree

Studying abroad will contribute towards your degree; either the grades from your partner university will be converted into UK grades and go towards your final degree classification, or your time abroad will be recognised in your degree title, for example Geography with International Study.

Summer schools

If your course does not offer the opportunity to study abroad, or you want to go away for a shorter amount of time than is usually offered, you can choose to take part in one of a number of summer schools at our partner universities. Whether you are looking to experience a new place, brush up on your language skills or simply see your subject from a new perspective, these short programmes offer a great opportunity to study abroad over the summer break.