Applying for student finance
Student finance applications usually open in February and March of the year you are starting University.
Check out the student finance explained film for everything you need to know.
How do I apply for student finance?
If you live in England, you should submit your application for tuition fee loans, loans for living costs and non-repayable financial help via the student finance section of the GOV.UK website.
The application deadline is usually in May of the year you start University.
- apply for your student finance early to make sure that your funding is in place for the start of your course. You don't need a confirmed place at University to apply for funding;
- use your first choice of course when applying (this can be changed online at a later date if needed).
The living cost loan and any non-repayable financial help that you're entitled to will be paid directly into your bank or building society in three instalments – usually in September, January and April.
UK students outside of England
If you live in other areas of the UK, you can apply using these links:
- Scotland – Student Awards Agency for Scotland website.
- Northern Ireland – contact the Education and Library Board where you live. Contact details are on the Student Finance Northern Ireland website.
- Wales – Student Finance Wales website.
If you wish to be automatically assessed for the Manchester Bursary, make sure that you agree to share your financial information on your application.