We provide a range of support and guidance for disabled applicants applying for a job at Manchester.
Creating an inclusive working environment that welcomes disabled applicants and people with long term health conditions is really important to us. One of the values at the heart of our vision and strategic plan is a commitment to equality and diversity, and equal opportunities for all.
A Disability Confident Employer
We were awarded the Disability Confident Employer status by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) for our commitment to the recruitment, retention and career development of disabled people and those with long term health conditions.
The scheme, which uses the Equality Act 2010 definition of disability, is a UK government initiative.
We have applied for Disability Confident Leader status, with the support of the Business Disability Forum, which will show our commitment to:
- voluntarily reporting our Disability Pay Gap;
- celebrating the excellence of our Disability Advisory and Support Service;
- the work that we have undertaken to ensure that disabled people feel The University of Manchester is a great place to work and study.
The ‘Offer an Interview’ scheme
We will offer an interview to disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for the role. This is often referred to on job descriptions as ‘essential’ or ‘desired’ skills.
For guidance when applying:
- When you complete your job application form you will find a section entitled 'Offer an Interview scheme' at the end of the form, after the Equality and Diversity Monitoring Form.
- If you feel that you have a disability, as defined in this section, you can choose to complete the form and return it with the rest of your application.
- If you have a requirement to apply for the role in another format, by video for example, please ensure that you advise us in your email accompanying your application that you wish to be considered under the scheme.
Your ’Offer an Interview’ application will only be shared with the chair of the shortlisting panel and the local People and Organisational Development Team.
You can contact us if you're unsure whether you should apply under the scheme or if you require further information.
If you require copies of documentation in alternative formats – large print, Braille and so on – please email our recruitment team.