At the forefront of lifelong, flexible learning
For students to achieve their potential, the way they learn should fit their needs and interests at all stages of life.
This is true regardless of background, and whether joining us after school, later in their career, on campus or online.
We’re on a mission to create lifelong flexible learning that is inclusive, accessible and international, preparing our graduates for an increasingly digital world that demands agility, creativity, and digital proficiency.
Transforming teaching delivery
We are working alongside our students and staff to transform teaching and learning, bringing future benefits to our whole community.
Supporting learners throughout their lifetime
We’re expanding our lifelong learning portfolio, working with partners to give learners the skills they need to progress throughout their careers.
New pathways into higher education
We will create new ways to access learning – from bite-sized learning to modular, stackable degrees that fit around learners' work or personal commitments.
Rich, accessible educational experiences
We're bringing together the best elements of face-to-face and digital learning to create accessible and inclusive learning activities and materials, developed with experts in educational design.
We will offer our students greater choice over where, when and at what pace they learn to fit their individual needs and circumstances, as well as expanding our transnational and interdisciplinary offer.
An infrastructure fit for the future
We're transforming our digital learning tools to provide a seamless and accessible experience and creating a campus that supports flexibility.
Preparing our people for a digital future
We’re offering all students and staff support to develop or enhance their digital skills, so they can benefit from the flexibility enabled by digital technologies.
To offer a university experience that is truly accessible, inclusive and international, we’re changing our approach to teaching delivery across three key areas.
We'll reimagine how students access higher education, enabling flexible and lifelong learning with bite-sized, modular and stackable degrees, through:
- more online courses to give learners a taster of our offering;
- new courses that can be stacked together to form larger qualifications across a flexible timeline;
- apprenticeships to address skills gaps and give local communities greater access to training and education;
- encouraging and supporting our colleagues to innovate course delivery through new pilot courses;
- more transnational and interdisciplinary courses;
- a course offer co-created with external partners and employers, so every graduate has the right skills to reach their potential.
We'll surround our teaching staff with experts in accessible design, digital learning and media production to create learning that captivates and inspires, through:
- more opportunities for our students to shape how learning is designed and delivered;
- more support for teaching staff in creating inclusive assessments;
- a new Digital Learning Service that supports teaching staff in creating learning materials;
- exploring setting up a “Centre” for Flexible Learning that will help us develop innovative courses for the future.
We'll transform our digital and campus infrastructure to support blended and flexible learning seamlessly whether students are joining us in Manchester or online from anywhere in the world, through:
- an integrated, interconnected, inclusive, and accessible digital infrastructure that supports learners throughout the student lifecycle;
- more support for students and staff to develop their digital skills;
- more spaces on campus to innovate and trial new approaches;
- we’re exploring solutions so we can ensure all students have equitable access to the hardware and software they need to succeed in their studies.
Teaching and learning excellence
See how we are fostering a culture of excellence for academics and students alike.
Find out more about Teaching and Learning Excellence at Manchester.
Information for prospective students
If you’re thinking about studying at Manchester, learn more about our approach to teaching.
Information for staff
If you work at the University, you can find further flexible learning resources on StaffNet.
Visit StaffNet for further resources about flexible learning.
Partner with us
Contact the team to help shape the future of teaching and learning.