Asylum and sanctuary seekers

With more than a quarter of our student body made up of nationalities from outside the EU, we place great value on what students from around the world can bring to our University.

We want you to succeed and The University of Manchester will support you on your journey, whether that be with funding, scholarships or helping settle you into your new UK life.  

Financial support

We currently offer a tuition fee concession to asylum seekers, where you pay the home fee for your degree, rather than the international fee. This is subject to eligibility criteria and administered solely at the discretion of the University. 

Article 26 scholarship

We offer Article 26 scholarships which cover tuition fees, accommodation and help towards living costs. There are currently five on offer for undergraduate study commencing in September 2023. 

Still in school or college?

Have you considered whether you want to go to university when you leave school or college? At Manchester we offer programmes for aspiring students to help you get a taste of the university experience and take the first steps towards higher education.

Over 21?

Anyone starting their studies over the age of 21 is defined as a mature student by UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). UCAS is the centralised service you use to apply for an undergraduate degree in the UK. 

Use our mature student guide to help answer your questions about what your experience will be like at the University.