English language courses at The University of Manchester
The University Language Centre at The University of Manchester offers English language courses covering the full range of language preparation.
If English is not your first language, these courses are designed to provide you with the level of English needed to meet the conditions of your offer.
If you’ve already applied to the University and been offered a place, you should consult the English language requirements of your course of study.
Your offer may specifically mention a pre-sessional course, but if not, you should find out whether you can take a course to meet the offer conditions for your main programme of study.
Your offer may also specify that you need to retake your International English Language Testing System (IELTS) at the end of your pre-sessional course.
Before your studies
- English for Academic Purposes – this is an academic English course, designed to be a pathway to Pre-sessional and university study (October–June; 10–29 weeks)
- Pre-sessional courses – these are exclusively for students with an offer to study a degree programme at the University of Manchester, to meet the English language requirements of your main course offer (July–September; 3, 6 or 10 weeks)
During your studies
The University Language Centre provides a range of in-sessional English language support services for registered students, visiting fellows and staff members whose first language is not English.
The services available include:
- timetabled in-sessional courses for international students, covering: academic writing, academic speaking, pronunciation and grammar;
- tailored workshop sessions in academic writing and other key areas, designed with Schools in academic disciplines across the University;
- tutorial service for students wishing to discuss and improve particular aspects of their academic writing;
- online learning resources designed to support students in their academic work.