MSc Organisational Psychology
Year of entry: 2019
Course unit details:
Training, Support and Development
|Unit level||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Offered by||Alliance Manchester Business School|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
Training, Learning & Development
Counselling and EAPs
Supporting the Ageing Workforce
To give students an understanding and awareness of the theories and practice of Training and Employee Development, to enable them to critically evaluate current concepts and techniques and be able to apply them in a work setting.
To introduce students to a range of theories relating to Counselling, Support and Development in the workplace and how these are applied in practice to improve individual, group and organisational processes and performance.
At the end of the course students should be able to:
- Explain the current approaches relating to the practice of training and development.
- Design and assess the effectiveness of training and development interventions.
- Explain the current approaches to counselling and employee support in organisations and evaluate their effectiveness.
- Apply these concepts and theories in an organisational setting and to advise organisations accordingly.
A 2 hour examination (80%).
Coursework consisting of group presentations on organisational issues and needs in relation to training content or evaluation. (20%). Students will also receive formative feedback on critiquing a training transfer research paper as an in class exercise.
- Informal advice and discussion during a lecture, seminar, workshop or lab.
- Online exercises and quizzes delivered through the Blackboard course space.
- Responses to student emails and questions from a member of staff including feedback provided to a group via an online discussion forum.
- Specific course related feedback sessions.
- Written and/or verbal comments on assessed or non-assessed coursework.
- Written and/or verbal comments after students have given a group presentation
Buckley, R. & Caple, J. (2009). The Theory and practice of training (6th Edition), Philadelphia: Kogan Page. Available from the library as a Dawsonera ebook https://www.dawsonera.com/abstract/9780749458515
Lawson, K. (2015). The trainer’s handbook (Fourth edition.). Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons. Available from the library as a Wiley ebook https://onlinelibrary-wiley-com.manchester.idm.oclc.org/doi/pdf/10.1002/9781119216155
Noe, R. A. (2013). Employee Training and Development. New York: McGraw HillThorne, K. & Mackey, D. (2007). Everything you ever needed to know about training (4th Edition), Kogan Page Available from the library as a Dawsonera ebook https://www.dawsonera.com/readonline/9780749452162
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Assessment written exam||2|
|Independent study hours|
|David Hughes||Unit coordinator|
Informal Contact Method