MSc Medical Microbiology
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
|Unit level||FHEQ level 7 – master's degree or fourth year of an integrated master's degree|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
This unit will introduce students to the principles and practice of microbial culture and identification with reference to microbial structure and growth characteristics.
The content will introduce and expand on the following:
- microbial structure and function
- modes of transmission
- culture and diagnostic tools for laboratory identification.
The unit aims to:
- develop students’ knowledge and understanding of the structure, classification and replication of bacteria, viruses and fungi;
- encourage students to perfect the practical skills necessary for the laboratory analysis of bacteria and viruses;
- develop the student’s understanding and knowledge of the principles behind methods used to test for the presence of pathogens; and
- develop understanding and knowledge of the immune system and host response to infection.
|Written assignment (inc essay)||60%|
- Feedback on assignments will be given in accordance with Unviersity guidelines
- Informal feedback on a one-to-one basis in practical sessions
- Verbal feedback in seminar/tutorial sessions
- Formal feedback at the end of the unit from students
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Practical classes & workshops||63|
|Independent study hours|
|Stavros Panagiotou||Unit coordinator|
These figures are for guidance only and the number of hours may vary. Independent study may include among others: directed learning, group work, preparation for sessions, follow-up work, PBL and completion of assessment tasks.